Monday 29 June 2015

Summer Sunburn SOS

Believe it or not, the British heatwave hasn't fully begun yet and last week I got badly sun burnt :-(
(Just a heads up, it's not fun so I wouldn't recommend it!!)
I thought I'd write my first proper blog post on my sunburn survival seeing as the weather's hotting up nicely over the next week so here goes...



It goes without saying.. 'Slip, Slap, Slop' and all things sun cream that you were taught at school are so so true! The suncream that I featured above is Boots Soltan (£6.00 from Boots) which is gentle, easily absorbed and contains an odourless insect repellent so great if you're heading abroad. Boots also use a very easy to understand star rating on the UVA protection on the front label of the bottle so you know how effective it's going to be. Don't forget to also check for UVB protection too as this is the main cause of  reddening and sunburn.

Protecting your face is just as important and I found that using a primer containing an SPF really saved my face from sunburn! Primers containing SPF are an easy way to achieve sun protection underneath your make-up as often sun creams are too greasy and not designed for the skin on your face. My primer of choice is this:

This SPF 30 Spackle Primer by Laura Geller (£24 currently £19.20 Beauty Bay) really works and has that holiday suncream smell. It even has a radiating pearlescent finish which adds a glow to the skin. I'm a huge fan of Laura Geller products even though she's more well known in America than here in the UK. This primer was part of her Tuscan Sun Collection but her other primers can be found at QVC UK, Feel Unique.com or Beauty Bay.

Sun protection for the lips is important too as lips can burn! I have featured Carmex Cherry Lipbalm (Superdrug £2.69 currently £1.79) with SPF 15. It smells nice, it's super hydrating and leaves a slight tingle! Not just great in the summer but also in the winter for chapped lips.

Last but not least, I need to praise my saviour for sunburn - Forever Living Aloe Vera Gelly
Aloe Vera is used in after sun due to its cooling and hydrating properties. This gelly from Forever Living is not a cream or an after sun but a pure Aloe gel making it non-greasy and super hydrating. If your sunburn is new, put it in the fridge and apply and it will instantly cool your skin! This stuff is amazing and it can be used for so many things such as prickly heat or irritation. (Aloe Vera Gelly £12.24 Forever Living.com or ask a local rep)


Note to self and any readers.. the clouds and sea breeze may fool you into thinking that you're safe but DON'T BE FOOLED or you will return home with very red stingy arms which isn't pretty. Sun protection may sound naff but it's pretty important.

I hope that maybe some of these will help you in the future.
Best Wishes,
Abbie xox


No comments:

Post a Comment