Friday 30 October 2015

Halloween: Student Style

Yes i'm a terrible blogger for not posting in over a month, however I'm back with a Halloween post just in time for the evening itself!

I'm no make-up artist and probably not even that good at doing my own make-up but I certainly know enough to make my housemates think that I'm semi-pro! So much so that this week when a Halloween social cropped up, I was kindly asked to help with their make-up.... PRESSURE!
My housemates looking beautiful as broken china dolls!
The theme for the dance social was "dolls" and after being inspired by several make-up tutorials on Youtube, I pitched the idea of the "Broken China Doll" which seemed both easy enough to do and cost effective.
These looks used all of our own makeup including liquid black eyeliner and grey/black eyeshadows. The only addition was Snazaroo white facepaint and some fake blood which can be picked up almost anywhere at this time of year.
Profiles of the girls..
To make this simple look..
1. Outline the shape of the crack that you want, this could be a few fragments as I did or one big crack.
2. Fill in with white facepaint and wait to dry.
3. Add shading using a fluffy eyeshadow brush to add depth to your cracks.
4. Re-outline using a liquid black eyeliner and extend the cracks across the face in the pattern you like. (Fake blood is totally optional)

Whilst I was working on the girls, I couldn't help but have a cheeky practice on my own face, this time trying something a little more complex.. the half skull.


The quality of my i-phone camera isn't great but I really liked how this came out on photo, especially from a distance!
1. Contour your face using a matte grey or black shadow using a blending brush to outline your 'jaw'. Focus on the jawbone and also the neck and forehead to make your face look boney and hollow.
2. Using white facepaint and a small ended brush, dab the paint along your lips and cheek to create the 'teeth'. Drag the brush away from your lips in the opposite direction so that they look blended out.
3. Once happy, fill in-between the teeth with a black eyeliner and also in between the lips.
4. Take an eyeshadow brush and using the same grey/black shadow, blend the shadows of the teeth downwards.
5. Complete look with heavy smoky eye, skull-like nose and even more contouring. You could even use black facepaint for a strong look.
There's potential for this to look amazing by either continuing the teeth round the other side or developing the eye to create a candy skull.

I hope this has given you some ideas on how to do Halloween on a student budget. We all know Christmas is coming and loans don't come through until January but you can definitely make yourself look just as good with your own make-up!

Let me know what you think (what you like or constructive criticism haha) and as ever, comment below or tweet me @DimFrillsBlog. Love Abbie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment